Exporting Goods to the US? Here’s What You Need to Know

Are you a business owner located outside of the United States but are looking to import your goods into the country? You are not alone. Many international companies aim to have a presence in the US to help expand their business and increase revenue. To do so, you will need to take the time to file the necessary paperwork with the United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Agency.

Can a foreign company export to the United States without an importer of record based in the U.S.?

As explained by the CBP, the answer is yes, your company “must have an agent in the state where the port of entry is located that serves as resident agent in the U.S. on behalf of the foreign corporation’s behalf. For instance, a Customs Broker that has been named in a Customs and Border Protection’s Power of Attorney may make entry on behalf of the exporter or his/her representative.”

 You May Also Like:4 Tips for More Successful International Shipments 

But What Exactly is a Foreign Importer of Record?

Promptus, LLC has a number of experiences US customs brokers available to help companies all over the world go through the necessary motions to get their merchandise over to the US.

Rather than sending a representative from your company to the United States to act as the foreign importer of record, you can hire a customs broker. You will need to provide your Customs Broker the following information:

  • A Customs Power of Attorney document signed by two officers of the business.
  • A copy of your Articles of Incorporation, including a copy of the document that specifies the authority of the officers signing the Power of Attorney.
  • Copies of the photo IDs of the two signing officers.

Upon submission of these documents to your customs broker, they will be able to apply for the Customs Assigned Number, which will allow you to obtain a customs bond. From there, you will be able to ship your goods to the US, assuming any other relevant stipulations are met. For example, if you are importing trademarked goods or items regulated by the FDA, FCC, or similar entities, please be sure all the necessary registrations and documentation are filed.

You will also need the ultimate consignee’s U.S. address and Tax ID number, which must be noted on the customs entry.

Let An Expert Help You!

Don’t stress yourself spending extra time, money, and energy on trying to understand certain CBP regulations and rules. We want our clients to be able to put their efforts back into what really matters: their business.

We will work with you to provide all the necessary paperwork and obtain all the accompanying documentation to ensure your shipments arrive smoothly and without incurring additional fees or penalties. Contact us today to get your quote for any of our global logistics services.

Blog Image Source